I am here to tell you that not only is it possible for you to survive a Twitter chat but it is also possible to benefit from it! I took part in my first Twitter Chat with The Peony Project this past Saturday – and absolutely loved it. You may be wondering:
What exactly is a Twitter Chat? It is a live Twitter event, usually moderated and focused around a general topic. To filter all the chatter on Twitter into a single conversation, a hashtag is used. A set time is also established so that the moderator, guest or host is available to engage in the conversation.
What Will I Get Out Of It? Twitter Chats are a great opportunity to not only interact with brands (hello partnerships!) but also to meet and get connected with like minded individuals (hello new best friends!)
Top Tips For Surviving Twitter Chats
1. Don’t feel like you have to respond to absolutely every tweet in the chat. There’s going to be a lot going on, and you can’t do everything.
2. Do take a breath if you need to. There will generally be time in between questions from the moderator so don’t feel like you have to be on top of everything all the time – if you’re getting overwhelmed or stressed out, take a step back and get back in the chat on the next question.
3. Don’t only interact with the moderator. A big part of Twitter Chats is getting to connect with other awesome Twitter users – so if you never reach out to anyone via the Twitter Chat hashtag, you’re going to be missing out and probably get lost in the sea of tweets.
4. Do use the associated hashtag so everyone in the chat can see your tweets.
5. Do retweet the moderator’s questions so your Twitter followers know what’s going on besides you tweeting up a storm!
6. Do use a Twitter “organizer” like Hootsuite (free!) to help you conquer your Twitter Chats. This a great tool to that can help you see the Tweets with your hashtag, the tweets from your host/hosts and so much more in one place on one screen!
What do you think of Twitter Chats?